October 11, 2010

Riding over the new Bypass Bridge at Hoover Dam












Pam brought her iPhone on the ride over the new bypass bridge at Hoover Dam.  Pam and Jay flew down from San Jose to join our family for the ride.  Allison and Chad started riding about 4 years ago and after watching and supporting them we all became interested in giving it a try.  Robert and Jennie bought bikes and then I finally purchased one a few months ago too.  This was a first big organized ride for Jay, Pam, Jennie and me.  The Viva Bike Vegas 2010 offered three different lengths of rides - 25 miles, 50 miles, or 115 century ride.  Only Chad and Robert were able to finish up the whole century ride.  Pam and I jumped off and on the course but completed a total of 49 miles.  Jennie jumped off right before the dam and rode a total of 50 miles.  Allison stayed on course and completed 52 consecutive miles which went all along Lake Shore and then to the dam and over into Boulder City.

This was a challenge that I have been preparing for during the past few months.  Allison helped me practice on different sections of the course that she would map out.  I appreciate her foresight in training - especially after the event.  I started riding with some women in Mountain's Edge area, but they were so much faster than I am that we couldn't really ride together.  I found out about a Beginner Ride at McGhie's bike shop on Wednesday mornings at 6:00 a.m.  The McGhie's group was perfect for me - they pushed me harder and were friendly and welcoming, which is just what I needed.  I was getting so discouraged because I am SLOW, but over time I'm getting quicker and have a little better technique.

Kim promised that he would be our SAG support vehicle during the ride.  Grandpa brought little Vance with him and was always available for any of us who needed his help.  It was so cute to hear Vance saying "go daddy, go mommy" out the truck window.  Kim was such a good sport and was a welcome sight at the end of our ride.

The seven in our group planned to meet before the new bypass bridge so that we could cross over it together.  We took photos together and were having a great time when channel 5 news came and asked to interview us about the ride.

No comments: