
My Mom passed away on May 24, 2009.
Leslie stayed with us following her surgery and recuperated in one room and Mom in the other. How relieved we all were that Leslie did not have cancer. It was crazy running back and forth from the hospital and hospice. I was so torn between my concern for Leslie as a mother, and my love and angst as a daughter for my Mom.
I was grateful when Pam asked me if I would like her to stay rather than go home after Mom was brought home to me from Hospice. I had prayed that I would have the courage to care for Mom in her final days, but I was never so glad as when Pam said that she could stay longer if I needed her. I did. I am so thankful that my girls came home early from their trip to be with me and hold my hand, as well as Grandma's.
I feel so blessed to have had such a wonderful mother. I've had so many people come up to me over the past few weeks and express their love and admiration for her. She truly was an elect lady. What a whirlwind of activity it was planning all the details in an effort to honor Mom. I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to have her in my home for the last month or so of her life. My children and grandchildren were able to make a few memories of grandma to treasure.
Mom loved pink, so all the family decided to wear her signature color at the funeral. My sisters and I went for a quick shopping trip to see what we could find in pink. After trying on dresses for a while one of my sisters said that she was sure that Mom would like to take us shopping one last time for a new dress. What did we think? We all laughed, because Mom did love to shop. It was so fun to shop together after all the tense hours spent during the past few days. I love each of my sisters, as different as they all are, and am so thankful that we had each other to rely on during this really difficult time.

The chapel was full of beautiful flowers and the family decked out in every shade of pink - - - Mom would have loved it! At the funeral some of the great grandchildren sang "My Heavenly Father Loves Me", which is one of my favorites. They did it so beautifully and I know that their sweet song and tender feelings meant so much to all the family. Mom loved her posterity and was so proud of them.

My mother-in-law, LaRue, gave the Eulogy. She had been a friend of Mom's for many years as they served in the Stake Relief Society Presidency together. It was such a beautiful and touching tribute.

Pall Bearers: Tristam Harrington, Jay Shepard, Craig Camp,
Richard Anderson, Steve Galler, Gene Winward, Kim Sutton.

Right before the grave site service was about to begin the sprinklers started to come on at the cemetery. Everyone started trying to move and Kim just quickly walks over to the big rainbird type sprinkler (suit and all) and steps on it. End of problem. That's what I love about Kim, he knows how to take care of things with no fuss. He never complained that his pants and boots were all wet. I love him for the support that he showed not just to me, but to my whole family.

At the end of the day on Saturday everyone needed some time to relax. Leslie and Joseph hosted an informal gathering for the family. The kids went swimming and played at the park in Worthen Circle while the adults visited. Of course, we needed matching pink shirts for this occasion as well. Definitely a Becky idea!

The next morning Kim and I hosted a breakfast for those family members still in town. One last chance to be together for a while. I am thankful for my family and my knowledge of the plan of salvation which has helped me get through this.

No comments:
Post a Comment